Bethy Leonard’s Buttermilk Brioche French Toast
Beth Leonard Hollis, daughter of store founder Stew Leonard Sr., started Stew Leonard’s in-store bakery more than 30 years ago after apprenticing for a baker in Paris. Here, she shares her family’s favorite French toast recipe using buttery brioche, imported from France and available at Stew Leonard’s.Ingredients
1-1/2 cups Buttermilk
4 Large Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
3 Tbsp. Sugar
12 slices Brioche Bread
Unsalted Butter, as needed
Stew Whip, for serving
Fresh Raspberries, for serving
Stew Leonard’s Maple Syrup, optional for serving
– Preheat an electric griddle to 350°F.
– Whisk buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and sugar until well blended.
– Pour buttermilk mixture into a shallow baking dish. Dip, 2 slices at a time, into mixture, turning once so that the bread absorbs the custard.
– Place a knob of butter on the griddle and let melt to coat the griddle.
– Cook the brioche French toast, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 5 to 8 minutes.
– Keep finished slices warm in a low heat oven until ready to serve.
– Top with the fresh raspberries, maple syrup (if using), and whipped cream.