And Chicken Salad, Freshly Sliced Cold Cuts and MORE…in Stew Leonard’s Deli!
A World Of Cheese Under One Roof
“Stew’s selection of cheese in our deli really celebrates my family’s roots in dairy farming!” says Stew Leonard Jr., owner of Stew Leonard’s. “Our shoppers are just as passionate in learning about cheese as they are about wine. Not only are they are interested in only where and how a cheese is made, but they love to hear the stories behind our cheesemakers as well. “
Stew Leonard’s annually sells more than 500,000 pounds of cheese; the most popular is Stew’s hand-made mozzarella followed by Jarlsberg, Sharp Cheddar, Double Cream Brie, and Gorgonzola. Stew’s deli department features an emphasis on award-winning “Made in the USA” cheeses alongside a selection of time-honored international cheeses. Each cheese has been hand-selected for its taste and value, including an assortment of Parmigiano-Reggiano, Brie, Gouda, Swiss, Blue, Sheep, and Goat.See Our Top 10 Speciality Cheeses
Smashed Potato Gratin
This recipe combines all the classic creamy, cheesy goodness of a potato gratin with the ease of baked potatoes. The potatoes can be baked a day ahead. The potato skins create a wonderful crispy topping that, combined with the creamy, nutty notes of Emmi Gruyère AOP cheese, will make this dish an instant favorite.
• 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cleaned
• Olive oil
• Salt and pepper
• 2 cups heavy whipping cream
• 1 bay leaf
• 3 sprigs fresh thyme
• 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 6 ounces Emmi Le Gruyère AOP cheese, shredded
1. Heat oven to 425F.
2. Place potatoes on rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
3. Adjust oven to 400F. Butter 1 1/2- or 2-quart baking dish.
4. Quarter potatoes and smash into 1- to 2-inch pieces.
5. In sauce pan, combine cream, bay leaf, fresh thyme, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring frequently, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and remove bay leaf and thyme.
6. In prepared baking dish, arrange half of potato pieces in single layer, skin side down. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with half of shredded cheese and half of cream mixture. Add remaining potato pieces skin side up. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with remaining cream mixture and cheese. Bake uncovered 40 minutes. Allow to cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Fresh Goat Cheese From LaClare Family Creamery
LaClare Family Creamery uses only the highest quality, locally produced ingredients in their world class cheese.
LaClare fresh goat cheese's are now available at your local Stew Leonard's.
Fresh Mozzarella...Made Right Before Your Eyes
Of course being the “World’s Largest Dairy Store” we must have amazing cheese! One of our best sellers at Stew Leonard’s is our Fresh Mozzarella. Made from scratch every day, fresh mozzarella being crafted right before your eyes is one of the greatest shows to see at Stew’s, too!
Build Your Own Cheese Board
CLICK HERE to see our 7 EASY steps for the PERFECT cheese board & our TOP specialty cheeses in each category.