Stew’s Instant Pot Beef Stew
This warm and hearty beef stew is perfect with a hunk of crusty bread fresh from Bethy’s Bakery or served over egg noodles. Plus, your Instant Pot makes this both a quick and a tasty meal!Ingredients
2 lbs. Chuck Roast
3 tbs. Stew Leonard’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1 large Yellow Onions, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 lb. Carrots, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
1 large Russet Potatoes, scrubbed, Peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
14 oz. Stew’s Organic Beef Broth
1 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 Bay Leaves
1 tbs. Thyme
8 oz. Tomato Sauce
1 cup Peas, fresh or frozen
Yields: 4 Servings
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Total time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
– Cut the beef into 1 1/2-inch cubes. (Be sure to ask your Stew Leonard’s butcher to remove any large pieces of fat or gristle in advance!)
– Turn the Instant Pot to sauté and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
– Once the oil is hot, add half of the beef in a single layer, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
– Cook the beef for about 5 minutes until the bottom has a brown crust.
– Flip the pieces of beef and continue searing until browned on both sides, about 4 additional minutes.
– Transfer the seared beef to a clean plate.
– Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pot.
– Once hot, add the rest of the beef and the other 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
Repeat the previous steps of searing on both sides for about 5 minutes each. (Add a bit more oil if necessary.)
– Remove the remaining seared beef from the pot and transfer to the plate with the first batch of beef.
– Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the onion to the Instant Pot.
Cook, stirring until the onion softens and browns, about 5 minutes.
– Add the garlic. Cook, stirring until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce.
– Using a spoon, scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. (Be sure the remove all of the brown bits – otherwise, your Instant Pot might issue a burn warning!)
– Add in the beef chunks with drippings, carrots, potatoes, thyme, and bay leaf.
Stir, and then pour the tomato sauce on top without stirring again.
– Close and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes, with a 10-minute natural release.
Open the vent to release the remaining pressure, then carefully open the lid.
– Discard the bay leaf. Stir in peas before serving.