Stew Leonard’s Tres Leches Cake
Made with three kinds of milk – evaporated milk, condensed milk, and Stew Leonard’s whole milk – this is a dairy-fresh and delicious dessert that Stew likes to wash down with (what else?) a cold glass of milk. Recipe makes two standard 9x 13 cakes.Ingredients
2 cups All Purpose Flour
3 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
10 Eggs, separated
2 cups Sugar, divided
2/3 cup Whole Milk
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 cans Evaporated Milk, 12 Ounce Cans
1/2 cup Stew Leonard’s Whole Milk
1 pint Heavy Cream
3 tbs. Sugar, or Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Ground Cinnamon, for topping
– Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
– Lightly spray a 9×13” pan with non-stick cooking spray (our chefs recommend a rectangle cake pan).
– In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
– Separate the eggs and place the yolks and the whites into two separate bowls.
– Add 1½-cup sugar to the bowl with the egg yolks and mix on high speed until yolks are pale yellow. Add the 2/3 cup whole milk and vanilla and stir on low speed until thoroughly combined.
– Pour the egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and stir gently just until combined (don’t over-mix).
– Use electric beaters to beat the egg whites on high speed. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar as you mix and continue beating until very stiff peaks.
– Fold egg whites into the batter gently, just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Make sure to smooth it into an even layer so it bakes evenly and there are no high and low spots.
– Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow cake to cool completely on a wire rack.
– Combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and whole milk in a small bowl. Once the cake has cooled use a fork to poke holes all over the top of the cake.
– Very slowly pour the milk mixture over the top of the cake, making sure to pour near the edges and all around.
– Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour or overnight, to allow it to soak up the milk.
– In the meantime, whip the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks. Smooth over the top of the cake.
– Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Serve with fresh sliced strawberries, if desired.