Lemon and Herb Crab Cakes
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes (per batch)
1 lb. Lump Crab Meat
1 medium Lemon, juiced
1 cup Cracker Crumbs
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Chives, or Parsley - Minced
2 tbs. Tarragon, minced - Or 1/2 tsp Dry Tarragon
1/2 tsp. Mustard
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
2 tbs. Butter, or Olive oil
Tobasco Sauce, to Taste
1. Remove any crab shell or cartilage from the meat, and combine the crab meat, and combine the crab meat and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir in the crumbs, then set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the egg, mayonnaise, hot pepper sauce, chives or parsley, tarragon, and mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste, and beat thoroughly. Combine with the crab.
3. Form the mixture into 8 cakes (about 1/3-cup mixture for each) about 1-inch thick. Lightly flour each cake then refrigerate, covered until ready to cook (up to 6 hours).
4. To cook the cakes, heat butter or vegetable oil in a non-stick pan set over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook the cakes a few at a time for 5 minutes; do not crowd the pan. Turn the cakes and cook for another 5 minutes, until golden brown and lightly puffed.
5. Keep the cooked cakes warm in a low oven while cooking the others. Serve with wedges of fresh lemon and some tartar sauce.
Makes 8 appetizer servings or 4 main course servings