Heavenly Stag French Onion Soup Gratinée
As temperatures dip, Stew Leonard’s chefs suggest this classic and delicious rendition of French Onion Soup featuring The Stag cheddar cheese. The Stag is a true Wisconsin Original! Chosen as the “101 Best Cheese of the Year” by Culture Magazine and a 3-time American Cheese Society “Best of Class” winner, customers love the rich texture and flavor of this handcrafted cheddar.Ingredients
4 tbsp. Salted Butter
8 medium - large Onions, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. Sugar
Sea Salt, freshly ground
4 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
8 cups Beef Broth
1 cup White Wine
2 tbsp. Thyme, finely chopped
16 oz. The Stag Cheddar, shredded
1 French Baguette
Stew Leonard’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Melt the butter in a large heavy soup pot. Add the sliced onions, a pinch of salt, and the sugar. Stir to mix well. Sauté over medium to medium-low for approximately 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender and golden brown.
2. Add the flour, stirring well to form a paste. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring gently.
3. Add the beef stock, wine, and thyme. Simmer slowly on low for 30 – 40 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 degrees. To make the croûtes, slice the baguette into 1 inch slices. Place the slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle each slice with olive oil. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until light golden brown. Flip the toasted slices over. Drizzle that side with olive oil and bake for another 15 – 20 minutes.
5. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees.
6. Ladle the soup into 6 – 8 small oven proof baking dishes. Top with a sprinkling of shredded Stag cheddar cheese. Float a closely packed layer of the croûtes on top of the soup/cheese. Top with a generous handful of shredded Stag cheddar, being careful not to sink the croûtes.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until soup is bubbly and cheese is melted and lightly browned.