STEW'S GREEN TEAM
Every Stew Leonard’s grocery store has a “Green Team” dedicated to making Stew Leonard’s a more eco-friendly place to work and shop. Since 2007, Stew’s Green Team has….
- Reduced the amount of garbage sent to the landfill by 39%. That’s more than 5.2 million tons that would have gone to local landfills. That reduction will reduce emissions equivalent to taking 46 million cars off the road.
- Recycled more than 366 tons of plastic. That is enough recycled plastic to fill more than 7,000 sleeping bags with fiberfill.
- Reused or recycled more than 4,800,000 tons of wood pallets. That is enough wood to fill 265,000 tractor-trailers.
- Saved almost 973,817 trees by recycling more than 51,555 tons of cardboard and paper, or the energy equivalent of 9.5 million gallons of gas. One ton of recycled paper or cardboard is the equivalent of:
- 18 trees
- 6,953 gallons of water
- 463 gallons of oil
- 587 pounds of air pollution
- 3.06 cubic yards of landfill space
- 4,077 kilowatt hours of energy
- Recycled more than 800 tons of metal. That will save enough energy to run an estimated 1.6 million 60-watt light bulbs for 26 years!
DID YOU KNOW STEW LEONARD'S...
- Gives away coffee grinds to customers for composting, gardening, and more!
- Donates day-old baked goods to local charities!
- Donates unsaleable produce to local farmers to help feed their animals!
- Donates used coats, vests, shirts, raingear, boots, and shoes to North Face's Clothes the Loop program so they can so they can be recycled and used in playgrounds!