* Photo Opportunity *
Stew Leonard’s to be Honored by Norwalk Mayor Harry Rilling for Being Named Best Grocery Store in America by BusinessInsider.com
On behalf of the City of Norwalk, Mayor Harry Rilling will present Stew Leonard’s with a Certificate of Recognition on Tuesday, July 21 at 1 p.m. in celebration of the store being named the Best Grocery Store in America by BusinessInsider.com.
In a June 6, 2015 article, BusinessInsider.com highlighted 13 Reasons Stew Leonard’s is Actually the Best Grocery Store in America, including:
- It has a simple, ironclad policy when it comes to customer service.
- It has a great in-house brand.
- There are perks for big spenders.
- The bakery is amazing.
- The chocolate chip cookies are made with a tiny bit of salt.
- It’s a fun place to take your kids.
- The company takes good care of its employees.
- The produce selection is enormous, fresh, and well-priced.
- There are so many free samples you can practically eat a free meal while you shop.
- Stew’s wine and liquor stores are in a league of their own.
- The butcher shop is also incredible.
- Stew Leonard’s is up with the latest food trends.
- You can also just buy a full meal without doing any food shopping.
The Leonard family and the City of Norwalk have enjoyed a decades-long relationship, dating back to the early 1920s when Charles Leo Leonard started Clover Farms Dairy in Norwalk. In 1969, Stew Leonard’s dairy store was founded in Norwalk with seven employees. Since that time, hundreds of Norwalk High teenagers have held their first jobs here at Stew’s and many of those students have benefitted from the store’s scholarship program with money to put towards their college education. The company also annually donates to the Norwalk High Marching Band, Norwalk High PGP, Norwalk High Art Show, and Norwalk High CAPT testing.
Today, Stew Leonard’s has grown to become not only the World’s Largest Dairy Store, but one of the most globally renowned grocery stores, with annual sales of almost $400 million and almost 2,000 Team Members. In addition to the headquarters store in Norwalk, Stew Leonard’s has stores in Danbury, Conn. and Yonkers, N.Y and Newington, Conn. A fifth store is planned to open in Farmingdale, N.Y. is early 2016.
Members of the Leonard family will be joined by Norwalk Mayor Harry Rilling as well as Common Council Member (and former Stew’s Team Member) Shannon O’Toole Giandurco. Stew Leonard’s Team Members and Clover the Cow will also be in attendance.
Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 1:00 p.m.
Stew Leonard’s, inside the Hoedown Tent
100 Westport Ave., Norwalk, Conn.
Meghan Bell, Stew Leonard’s
203.750.6107 or [email protected]
# # #